A bespoke tool for creating knitted cord.
Designed by a maker, for makers.
Enter, the Cordsmith. This simple tool allows you to create a row of i-cord with a single movement, replacing three knit stitches and the time it takes to slide your stitches back to your working needle again.
Yes, it really is that fast and it’s easy enough that kids can use it too!
What can the Cordsmith be used for?
Anything that requires knitted cord!
- Use it to create i-cord to cast on a project
- Use it to create an attached i-cord bind off
- Drawstrings for hoodies, pants, and bags
- Use the i-cord to knit or crochet a super squishy blanket, rugs or chair cushions
- Add beads as you go to make sparkly bracelets or holiday garland
- Wrap around round foam balls to make holiday decorations
- Hanging loops for stockings
- Slide over wire shapes and words
- Macrame art
- Plant hangers
- Decorative wall hangings
- Strings to attach mittens or hat ties
How do I get it started?
It's recommended to get starting with this video (pinned on my Instagram profile) for how to cast on:
Watch the Instagram Reel here
The first stitch or three can be a little finicky so don’t give up! Try using a yarn with a little bit of stretch to start. Cotton or linen aren’t as easy for beginners but can be used with practice. When you’re working, keep your working yarn loose and it will be easier to pull your stitches up and over. Once you’ve got a few stitches you’ll have more of the cord to grab which makes things easier! You’ll be zooming along in no time!
Each Cordsmith is made for you by hand in Ohio.